Job title: Civil Engineer I – Statewide
Company: Massachusetts Trial Court
Job description: About MassDOT
An agency on the move, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) takes great pride in connecting the Commonwealth’s residents and communities. Powered by a growing data-analytics discipline – and working in conjunction with municipalities, public agencies and the private sector – we’re finding new ways to improve the Bay State’s transportation infrastructure.
MassDOT is responsible for developing, implementing, and coordinating transportation policies and projects for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and to efficiently plan, design, construct, and maintain a safe statewide transportation system which effectively meets the transportation needs of the Commonwealth.
MassDOT’s divisions include: Highway, Aeronautics, Registry of Motor Vehicles, Rail & Transit, and Planning & Enterprise Services. There are approximately 3,600 employees across the organization.
Field positions will most likely not participate in remote work. Those who are interested in office positions, such as project design/review, will be offered a hybrid work schedule.
Do you want to use your engineering skills to make a difference in the Commonwealth? Civil, mechanical and environmental engineers who have a passion for transportation are needed for numerous entry level positions throughout the organization. At MassDOT we have positions that require candidates to be on construction sites and others that are in an office setting.
Our entry level Civil Engineers perform a variety of tasks including: preparing and/or reviewing plans, specifications, and cost estimates for MassDOT projects; preparing and/or reviewing reports, studies and analyzes data; performing calculations relating to engineering problems; and performing engineering surveys. Other duties may be required depending on the role and section the Civil Engineer I is assigned to.
Examples of a day in the life a Civil Engineer I include:
- Performs engineering duties in such areas as highways, bridges or facilities in accordance with sound engineering principles, applicable laws, regulations, and standards.
- Performs review of consultant designs and contract documents for projects developed for advertisement through MassDOT’s Road and Bridge Program.
- Provides engineering data for the preparation and review of engineering or environmental reports and studies.
- Performs general calculations related to bridge design, survey traverses, traffic forecasting, soil capacity, groundwater flow, and quantity of materials.
- Reviews applications for licenses or permits for the transportation of materials and for the construction of privately funded improvements.
- Acts as an Assistant to the Resident Engineer or Resident Engineer to inspect roadway, intersection, and bridge improvement projects to ensure that work is being performed according to specifications.
- Participates in field investigations to gather information needed to resolve construction, maintenance, environmental or traffic problems.
- Test materials used in the production of bituminous concrete pavements and cement concrete to ensure compliance with relevant standards.
- Perform site inspections of construction operations on active bridge, roadway, and maintenance related work.
- Writes memoranda, letters, and reports to supervisors concerning the status of engineering projects or problems.
- Ability to promote a harmonious work environment, respect the opinions of others, and work in a diverse team.
- Proficiency in various civil engineering software (AutoCAD, GIS, excel, etc).
- Ability to work/interact in a diverse workforce.
- Strong math skills
- Excellent grasp of engineering fundamentals
Our Civil Engineering candidates are able to build a thriving career at MassDOT. With our many CE disciplines such as: construction, roadway maintenance, design, bridge, project management, and research & materials, the opportunities for career development and promotional opportunities across the organization are endless. Moreover, MassDOT is committed to offering remote flexibility where appropriate so that work/life balance can be further enhanced.
MassDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, as well as a pension and 403(b) plan. It’s a great place to start your career while growing your skill sets. In addition to a competitive base salary, after you work 40 hours/week, any additional hours are compensated as overtime.
Roles will be filled based on operational needs and/or candidate strengths. Please indicate areas you are interested in on your application, as well as the locations in which you are able to work. As roles become available, candidates will be contacted based on the information indicated in their application.
District 1 – Berkshire County/Western, MA
District 2 – Connecticut River Valley/Western, MA
District 3* – Worcester County/Central, MA
If interested in working the Research and Materials Lab, located in Hopkinton, please select District 3 as a location that you’re interested in.*
District 4 – Northeastern, MA
District 5 – Southeastern, MA & Cape Cod
District 6 – Metro Boston, MA
Headquarters – Downtown Boston, MA
Research & Materials Lab – Hopkinton, MA
This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
All job applications must be submitted online through MassCareers to be considered.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Applicants must have at least (A) two years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, technical or professional experience in civil engineering work in such areas as construction, survey, design, transportation, hydraulics, structural, sanitary, drafting, environmental, highway, architectural, airport, soils and materials or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. An Associate’s degree with a major in civil engineering** or civil engineering technology** may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required experience.*
II. A Bachelor’s or higher degree with a major in civil engineering** or civil engineering technology**, may be substituted for the required experience.*
**NOTE: The terms civil engineering and civil engineering technology include related engineering disciplines such as construction, survey, hydraulics, design, transportation, structural, soils, sanitary, environmental, drafting, highway, architectural, mining, airport and materials.
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class D Motor Vehicle Operator’s License may be required.
FOR NON-MassDOT APPLICANTS:
Applicants for this position must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in an appropriate engineering discipline for appointment to this position.
FOR MassDOT EMPLOYEES:
Applicants for this position must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in an appropriate engineering discipline for appointment to this position, or hold a position in the Department in the next lower title than the position applied for, in the same or similar career ladder.
- For questions regarding the job posting, email email@example.com.
- For general questions regarding MassDOT, call the Human Resources Service Center at 857-368-4722.
- For a disability-related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call ADA Coordinator, Heather Ulesoo – (617) 851-9447.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 07:03:49 GMT
Apply for the job now!