Job title: General Construction Inspector I – Statewide
Company: Massachusetts Trial Court
Job description: About MassDOT
An agency on the move, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) takes great pride in connecting the Commonwealth’s residents and communities. Powered by a growing data-analytics discipline – and working in conjunction with municipalities, public agencies and the private sector – we’re finding new ways to improve the Bay State’s transportation infrastructure.
MassDOT is responsible for developing, implementing, and coordinating transportation policies and projects for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and to efficiently plan, design, construct, and maintain a safe statewide transportation system which effectively meets the transportation needs of the Commonwealth.
MassDOT’s divisions include: Highway, Aeronautics, Registry of Motor Vehicles, Rail & Transit, and Planning & Enterprise Services. There are approximately 3,600 employees across the organization.
MassDOT is looking for a General Construction Inspector I (GCI I). This exciting opportunity to join the MassDOT team requires in-person visits to inspection sites throughout Massachusetts’ Highway Districts. If you like being in an active construction and engineering environment, this may be the job for you!
This dynamic position would require the ability to work independently as well as within a team, whether it be with other MassDOT employees or with outside contractors working for MassDOT. This entry level position is a great way to apply knowledge of construction inspection and learn the standards and practices of a state transportation agency. A successful candidate would have experience in on-site construction inspection of active roadway projects, transportation related construction, bridge projects, etc.
A GCI I is a great way to start or expand a construction management or engineering career with MassDOT. Many of our GCI employees go on to positions within our Civil Engineering or Bridge Inspection career series.
A General Construction Inspector I position at MassDOT can provide:
- Enhancement of on-site civil engineering and transportation construction experience.
- Training and licensure in various procedures of construction inspection.
- A gateway to internal MassDOT promotional opportunities, including the civil engineer series.
The basic purpose of this work is to oversee the construction practices as maintenance and repair work is being done on various sites, and to enforce compliance with plans, specifications and all applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
MassDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, as well as a pension and 403(b) plan. It’s a great place to start your career while growing your skill sets. In addition to a competitive base salary, after you work 40 hours a week, any additional hours are compensated as overtime.
Limited remote work opportunities may be available to GCIs not assigned to Construction.
Detailed Statement of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises and inspects construction projects work for compliance with sound engineering principles and practices and contractual standards.
- Performs on sight Inspections of ongoing construction and or repair activity on assigned project.
- Follows through on inspections to ensure that necessary maintenance, repair and/or replacement procedures are undertaken.
- Provides engineering data for civil engineering projects such as buildings or highway construction in order to plan, design and construct structures and facilities such as buildings, bridges, roads and drainage.
- Performs calculations and/or checks computations made by others.
- Test materials used in the production of bituminous concrete pavements and cement concrete to ensure compliance with relevant standards.
- Prepare all related documents (daily reports, pay slips, sketches, etc.), including data entry into correct computer programs.
- Performs related duties as required.
Qualifications Required at Hire:
- Understanding of general construction math principles.
- Ability to operate equipment used in plane surveying.
- Ability to utilize traffic engineering principles related to traffic control through construction projects
- Ability to understand, explain, and apply the laws, rules regulations, policies, procedures, standards, guidelines and specifications governing assigned unit activities.
- Knowledge of terminology, symbols, codes and standard abbreviations used on maps and in civil engineering projects such as the construction of highways and bridges.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of materials and equipment used in civil engineering projects such as the construction of highways and buildings, including but not limited to concrete, asphalt, and the various types, sizes, characteristics, and properties of lumber.
- Knowledge of the engineering properties of soils, including the compressibility and sheer strength of soils; proficiency in methods of soil testing including soil classification and strength tests.
- Demonstrated knowledge of safety practices and procedures followed in civil engineering projects.
- Basic proficiency in inspection techniques used in civil engineering projects.
- Skill in the use of materials testing equipment.
District 1 – Berkshire County/Western, MA
District 2 – Connecticut River Valley/Western, MA
District 3* – Worcester County/Central, MA
If interested in working the Research and Materials Lab, located in Hopkinton, please select District 3 as a location that you’re interested in.*
District 4 – Northeastern, MA
District 5 – Southeastern, MA & Cape Cod
District 6 – Metro Boston, MA
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
All job applications must be submitted online through MassCareers to be considered.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Applicants must have at least (A) four years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, technical experience in the construction, inspection and/or alteration of construction projects such as highways, buildings, bridges, tunnels, sewers, waterways, dams and parks, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. An Associate’s degree with a major in civil engineering, civil engineering technology or construction technology may be substituted for a maximum of two years of the required experience.
II. A Bachelor’s or higher Degree with a major in civil engineering, civil engineering technology, architecture, or structural, architectural or sanitary engineering may be substituted for the required experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the requirements actually completed.
Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class 3 Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
- For questions regarding the job posting, email email@example.com.
- For general questions regarding MassDOT, call the Human Resources Service Center at 857-368-4722.
- For a disability-related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call ADA Coordinator, Heather Ulesoo – (617) 851-9447.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 03:53:56 GMT
Apply for the job now!